The Penguin 2.0 was introduced on May 22, 2013. The most affected were the webmasters. Disavow Links tools are being sought by many. In my experience of working with companies, I have found that the Disavow tool does not seem to deliver what it claims.
It was thought to be the solution for the issues created by a profile with spammy backlink. Many experienced that there was no change when they disavowed links. The same was experienced by Cyrus Shepherd also.
It has been found that Google does not support the excessive use of this tool. Google has emphasized that this tool should not be used unless needed. And it is not suitable for every website to employ Disavow tools. Also it has been expected that excess links should be removed using multiple link removal requests. Only after that, the tool should be engaged to get rid of remaining less number of links.
What Google actually wants is that the user should try on his own to remove the spammy link profile. Uploading all the links into Disavow won’t actually help you. The tool simply stops working. You can only use the tool correctly if you utilize it for Manual Penalty Recovery and Penguin Algorithmic Penalty.
There are certain steps that should be adhered:
- Conduct a Link Audit: According to John Mueller, Google Webmaster Tools can be used by you instead of third-party tools. While Marie Haynes claims that employing WMT links benefits her a lot as the manual penalties are removed. The links are easily available on Google Webmaster Tools. Thereafter you need to select your website.
After that select Traffic > Links to Your Site > More > Download Latest Links
Export to CSV or Google Docs.
- Analyze the Link Data: There are guidelines on how to analyze data. This can be found by reading “How to Conduct a Link Audit”. It should be kept in mind that although it is fine to employ any link evaluation tool, but, a manual review is imperative for auditing the output.
- Documentation: I think creating a Google Drive account will help you a lot. This will aid in link cleanup. You should include Google Drive credentials when you request for reconsideration. This will aid Google to confirm the efforts put in.
- Link Removal through Email Outreach: Emails can be effectively used. Personalized emails don’t require any effort from the recipient. The webmaster has to be informed about the link, the anchor text and where does it point. This will allow the webmaster to remove the link. If there is a demand for payment. Then document the demand and load it into the Disavow file.
- The Disavow Tool: Log into the Webmaster Tools, go to Disavow Tools and choose your Domain. When you click Disavow links, you will be asked to upload the links you want to disavow. It is this simple. You can get rid of manual files this way.
- Reconsideration Request (if necessary): This request has to be done only if you are under a manual penalty. You should ensure that you reveal all the details that are necessary.
According to me, Disavow Link Tools are actually a feature that is added to the tools for reporting spam links. The bottom line is that this tool cannot be used alone to tackle an algorithm hit or a penalty. It is inconsequential tool used in the whole scheme of recovery.